This is another super, easy and tasty soup that will have your tastebubs warmed up in no time!! After traveling to Minnesota and New York where it is freezing (!!) I found myself craving a lot of soups to help warm me up!! You will love this soup because it is not just another tomato soup, this soup includes your vegetables and your protein to keep you full until the next meal! My husband loves eating a lot of carbohydrates and he can get away with it but I try to watch how many I am eating, I love that I can make the soup relatively low carb and make him pasta or rice on the side that he can add into his portion. I am not one to cook a bunch of different meals to please our different tastes so this option pleases us both!!
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1, 6oz can of tomato paste
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2- 14 oz cans diced Italian tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1. Spray a large pot with olive oil and set to medium heat, add in cubed chicken and stir chicken until completely cooked, then remove from the pot and set aside.
- 2. Using the same pot sauté the onions and bell peppers for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- 3. Add in garlic, tomatoes, tomatoes paste, chicken broth, basil, oregano, parsley and the cubed chicken.
- 4. Bring soup to a light boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5. Optional step: until soup simmers prepare either rice or pasta and set aside
- 6. Once the soup is finished add desired amount of rice or pasta to the soup and serve warm, top with cheese if desired!
- 1 cup of cooked pasta or rice
- mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- If you are planning on having leftovers keep rice and pasta in a separate bowl and add in when you are ready to eat. To store, place leftovers in the fridge and keep up to 5 days!