Happy Monday morning and I am so happy to report that Fall has officially started here in Houston! During the summer I pretty much hide indoors and just pray for the heat and humidity to end but when fall rolls around I just can’t get enough! All I want to do is plan activities for outside so I can soak it all in! Although Ryan and I found ourselves struggling this weekend to find fun things to do outside in Houston because we are so used to planning our days being indoors!! I figured other Housonites might be struggling with the same issue so here are some of my favorite things to do outside are:
- Extra long walks with the dogs
- Shopping at outdoor stores (Highland village or river oaks shopping center… there is also the outlet malls and this past weekend I went to Roundtop- if you haven’t been put this on your calendar for the spring)!
- Farmers markets
- Cute cafes with patios (hungry’s is my all time favorite)
- Memorial park trail
- Bike riding (Ryan and I did this yesterday)
- Visiting a nursery for new plants/herbs (here is one of my favorites)
- Just sitting outside and letting the pups play with my cup of coffee
- Going to the zoo!
- Driving with the windows down to Galveston and spending the day on the strand (because no one actually swims in the ocean lol)
That is my list so far! Is there anything I missed that I should be doing or trying out? I always love new ideas for adventures! Now on to the good stuff! This past weekend I went to visit my grandma and aunt who live in Conroe and when I go up there stopping by Pie In The Sky is a must!!! Close your ears for a minute because this is not my dietitian side talking! This little cafe is everything you could ever want! All homemade goodies and treats and yes they even have some healthy options like amazing salads but you don’t go to a place called Pie In The Sky looking for a salad… Not only is the food amazing and the decor is cute as a button but the owner has turned this cafe in to the American dream (read more about her story here)! All I am saying is IF it happens to be a ‘cheat day’ for you and IF you happen to magically be in Conroe, Pie In The Sky deserves a visit… You can thank me and curse me for the recommendation all at the same time!
Speaking of the fall and speaking of treats/sweets that brings me today’s post! You didn’t think I was just going to get you all hungry and salivating and then leave you hanging, did you?! I am laying down my calm cool and collected card and officially joining the fall obsessed crazies! Thats right if you can’t beat them join them and you know what they are obsessed with without me even telling you…. PUMPKIN!!! So for the past few days every morning I have had two mini pumpkin muffins with 2 tbsps of melted peanut butter and coffee and I regret nothing! Here is the recipe for this healthy treat to add to your fall routine!
- 1 cup of 1-1 gluten free baking flour**
- 1 cup of organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup of almond meal/flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of sugar cane
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, optional
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a mini muffin tin with cooking/olive oil spray. Then in a bowl, add all of the wet ingredients together (once you melt the coconut oil, let it cool down to room temp. or it will start cooking the eggs). Add all to the dry ingredients together, then slowly add the wet to the dry and mix well but be be sure to not over mix. Using a spoon (I always use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and fill it halfway with batter to make my life easier) fill the muffin tin 3/4 of the way full with the batter. Then bake the muffins for 20 minutes*, remove from the oven and let cool!
- **I used 1-1 gluten free baking flour that I found at whole foods but ANY gluten free flour will work! *I always check my muffins at the 10 and 15 minute mark just to make sure they are cooking on track. I have found everyones oven cooks differently! Mine take the full 20 minutes and sometimes require an extra minute or two!
and Southern when people come over and I have healthy treats waiting on them… #Southernliving
Tell me are you going to give this recipe I try? If so I would love to see and share your photos with other readers so don’t forget to tag me @theblondepantry