One of my client’s husbands, who I meal prep for, recently bought some sorghum for me to experiment in recipes with and there is nothing I love more than ‘die-hard’ blonde pantry lover so how could I NOT come up with a recipe for him?! To be honest I had never heard of sorghum before he gave it to me and as a self-proclaimed healthy foodie, I LIVE for experimenting with new ingredients I have never heard of! If you also didn’t know what sorghum is here are some facts:
- Sorghum is the juice that is extracted from sorghum grass and is cleansed of impurities.
- It is a natural sugar (much like honey).
- Contains zero chemical additives.
- Tennessee and Kentucky are the leading states for producing sorghum.
- Sorghum contains: iron, potassium, calcium, niacin, magnesium, coper and phosphorous.
- It also contains protein, fiber and antioxidants.
- Contains a small amount of Omega 3’s and Omega 6’s
- Sorghum is used to produce alcohol and biofuels (interesting)!
- Just like syrup and honey Sorghum still has calories and sugar in it so use it sparingly.
- 2 Tbsp: 95 calories, 1 gram of fat, 2 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein and 21 grams of carbohydrates
- Sorghum is a great substitute to use in place of syrup and honey.
I personally think the raw taste of sorghum is an even mixture of honey and maple syrup, which I like because I am not a big fan of honey’s taste! Okay, enough with the facts now let’s get to the recipe!!
- 1 cup peanut butter, natural
- 1/2 cup 1-1 baking flour, gluten free flour**
- 1/2 cup of sorghum
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combine (use your strength here this dough is no joke)! Cover a baking sheet with wax paper or spray non stick cooking spray for easy clean up. Using a small scooper, spoon out the dough and place on the cooking sheet. Then bake in the oven for 8 minutes (keep an eye on these babies). Once they are out of the oven and still warm, use a fork to flatten them down, if you do this before you bake them the fork will stick to the cookies. Let them cool and enjoy!
- ** You can find this flour at whole foods, central market or even amazon.
- You can also add 1/4 of sugar cane or even brown sugar if you want them to be sweeter (and less healthy) 🙂
- For one of my batches, I added a few chocolate chips and I definitely didn't hate it!
- These cookies don't really spread out when cooking so feel free to bake them a little closer if needed.
These cookies were super soft and chewy (even 4 days later)! Big shout out to Rocks Box for sending me some jewelry! I absolutely LOVE this company and their boxes! This would be the perfect gift to give a college girl so you can send her some love once a month or anyone really (Ryan if you are reading this…. Christmas is coming) <— Said in my best game of thrones voice! This is the brand of sorghum that my client’s husband gave me, I love it! Look how cute this ring and necklace is! The other thing I love about Rocks Box is that you don’t get sent just random jewelry.. they actually let you take a style quiz and pick your favorites! You can even request specific items and they will send those to you so you don’t have to worry about hating the pieces they send you and if you don’t want to keep it you can just wear them and then send it back! Kind of amazing if you ask me! Use the code: theblondepantryxoxo to get Rocks Box for one month free! My usually cooking uniform is Pj’s, zero makeup and a top knot in my hair so thank you to Rocks Box for giving me a reason to dress like a human while blogging! My husband sends his thanks! It is hard to tell in the photo but these cookies are super chewy and tasty! These are the perfect cookies to whip up for an after school snack, for an event or just if you have a sweet tooth that needs a nutrient boost!
Are you going to add these peanut butter cookies to your holiday menu?
This post was sponsored by Rocks Box but the thoughts and opinions are my own. I only work with companies I love! Use the code: theblondepantryxoxo to get one month free!