Salads are kind of my thing, but not the boring iceberg lettuce and tomato one you are probably picturing in your mind. The truth is salads can be your best friend when it comes to losing weight, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, getting the right nutrients and keeping you full. Time and time again people tell me that they hate salads and I get it but the trick is to find ingredients you adore and stick with those. The good news is in recent years more and more restaurants are finally getting this concept and they are offering up some amazing salads for us to enjoy but how can you make your own homemade salad taste as good as the restaurants? So below, I am sharing one of my all time favorite go-to salad combos.
- 1 carton of organic spring mix lettuce
- 1 small carton of organic arugula lettuce
- 1/2 pint of blueberries
- 1/2 pint of raspberries
- 1/2 pint of blackberries
- 1 cup of sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup of feta cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup of walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon of honey mustard (optional, to taste)
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- Layer the salad starting with the lettuces, then wash, dry and add the berries. Add the cheese and nuts. Then whisk together the dressing and pour in to the salad. Toss everything until well combine and serve!
I like to use more ‘full-body/hearty greens’ so my top picks are arugula, kale, spinach and spring mix. In this salad I used a mixture of a spring mix and arugula. Next goes on your favorite berries or in season fruits. I used raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries but you can also use fruits like oranges, kiwi, apples and pomegranate seeds to change things up based on the season. Finally, top with your favorite dressing. I love using a homemade dressing because it takes all of three seconds and tastes better than anything you can buy at the store.
What is your favorite toppings for your summertime salads? I would love to hear!